Federal Program: The federally funded program is designed to help low-income students prepare for the future. This program provides academic, personal, and career counseling to 550 students enrolled in participating middle and high schools associated with the Northern Regional WEOP offices of Ashland, Eau Claire, Green Bay and Wausau. Talent Search staff assist students in obtaining the knowledge, skills, and self-esteem to complete high school and go onto a higher education.
The Federal Talent Search Program provides information about:
- College and technical schools
- Admission and financial aid process
- High school graduation requirements
- Career counseling
- Scholarship resources
- ACT preparation
- College Entrance Requirements
Talent Search offers exposure to college campuses, cultural events, academic programs, parent workshops, precollege summer programs, and employment skill building.
Participants in the program are expected to:
- Make a commitment to remain in the program till high school graduations
- Actively participate in scheduled activities
- Make a commitment to remain in high school and graduate
- Have a desire to go on to college
- Have a willingness to work hard academically
- Follow the rules and policies of the Federal Talent Search Program
Eligibility: The federal program is open to any low income or first-generation student (parents never graduated from a 4-year college) between the ages of 11 and 27 who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Counselors, teachers, or school administrators may refer students. Self-referrals will also be considered. There is no cost to be a part of this program. All major expenses are covered by Federal Talent Search funds.
Target Schools for Talent Search:
Eau Claire School District-North
Delong and Northstar
Bayfield Middle and High School
DC Everest Middle, Junior and Senior High
DPI-WEOP Student Application:
- PI-WEOP-1000: WEOP Student Application Form
- PI-WEOP-1000 Application Instructions: WEOP Student Application Instructions
- PI-WEOP-1000 Supporting Documents: WEOP Student Supporting Documents
WEOP has seven statewide offices: Ashland, Eau Claire, Green Bay, Madison, Milwaukee, Racine and Wausau.